Tuesday 4 March 2014

YARINKA COLLUCCI interview

Cross post with Generation Bass

I was recently told to check out the music of Yarinka Collucci, and I am so glad I did. Every few years I tend to stumble on an act who makes "perfect music". Perfect for me, that is (perfect for everyone would be impossible), featuring my favourite elements from my favourite acts or genres, presented in a fresh way. A couple of years ago it was Ynfynyt Scroll's twisted take on ballroom and club, before that it was the squelchy synth symphonies of Ben Butler & Mousepad. Yarinka is now up there with both those acts, with a delicious blend of familiar(ish) tribal house beats, forward-thinking synth/sample work and a deep spacey vibe all of her own. In fact, I have to admit I am a little bit obsessed. Yarinka is not just a wicked music producer, she's also a very talented visual artist (soon to be creating some work for Generation Bass), and a mysterious, beautiful, gender-bending persona. I sent Yarinka some questions to help me understand...  




WHO IS YARINKA COLLUCCI? 

Yarinka Collucci is a music producer from the future (Atlantis 4200), who enjoys making people think and dance to her tropical vibes. Raised on the internet, but a Neptune native. Part Goddess, part human, a cyberbabe who likes to spend most of her time making music and discovering new artists. Yarinka is mostly recognised for her seapunk vibes and has a top 5 seapunk video on YouTube. 

WHAT IS YARINKA COLLUCCI? 

I always knew I wasnt 'normal' and didn't want to be. A normal life with a normal job and normal people around me, it all seemed like a nightmare to me! I always wanted more from life in every aspect. I'm everything society rejects and im not scared of it. 



 
WHY IS YARINKA COLLUCCI? 

Ever since I was little I had a passion for music. Before I started to make music I used to enjoy dancing (serving people) and listening to music people would call 'weird'. I starded producing as a hobby and started to get more serious when i started to get recognised. I always wanted to be famous and have people love me for who i was - since i never had that growing up. I always liked connecting with people in more spiritual ways. I come from a family of musicians so it runs in my blood, and there's nothing more I rather do.  

WHAT ARE YOUR TOP 5 RECORDS? 

1. Destiny's Child - Destiny Fullfilled 
2. Missy Elliot - Supa Dupa Fly 
3. Daft Punk - Discovery 
4. Justice - Cross The Universe 
5. Aaliyah - I Care 4 U

 
WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST PRODUCTION INSPIRATION? 

My biggest ispiration is the people and all the support and love they give me. Sometimes I'm in such a bad mood and someoone can hit me up and tell me they like my music. It instantly makes my day! I get inspired from a lot of tropical stuff, I like stuff that makes your soul dance, I like music that is not mainstream. Right now my favorite label is MAINCOURSE, they're really putting it down! 

AND WHO IS YOUR BIGGEST INSPIRATION IN FASHION/STYLE? 

I would say myself. I like to experiment a lot with different looks and styles and like anything that's weird and just out there, anything that's futuristic and not plain!



HOW DID YOU END UP WORKING WITH PIYAH MARTEL? (Piyah is a disabled, transgender blogger/performer who famously appeared as a guest on RuPaul's Drag Race.)

I know Piyah for quite some time now, I would always watch her videos and enjoy her blog. She starded making music, and I really loved it. So then we started talking about a remix and thats how it came about. Actually, that remix that recently came out is a year old. My computer got messed up and thank God I had saved the song to my phone. A year later while scrolling trough my music i found it! 

WHAT ARE YOUR HOPES FOR THE CHILDREN OF THE FUTURE? 

My biggest hope for the children of the future is for everybody to accept each other, to end this pointless homophobia, and stop bullying. I know how hard it is first hand, and I don't think any kid deserves to be bullied no matter how different they are. I don't think anyone should be descriminated against just for being different. I hate that.





No comments:

Post a Comment